Saturday, April 26, 2008

How Long Before I Look Back And Laugh?

I've often thought that when Erron and I were called to serve in the nursery together three weeks after we were married, that it was the Church's way of practicing birth control. One year of teaching 2-3 year -olds for two hours each Sunday and we were cured. The little boy that helped us decided to be a childless couple was Ricky. A crazy little guy whose parents dressed him in jump suits that were too short. Erron is convinced that this was the root of his issues. Why this trip down memory lane? Well, I think Dane may be the Lord's way of impressing on young teenage girls that abstinence is the best policy.

Tonight, Erron and I went out for our anniversary and then to the adult session of stake conference. (AKA - Church Meeting without kids.) Reagan and Kale's piano teacher has a 15 year old daughter, Courtney. She likes to babysit but has a lot of competition from the large group of 12-13 year old girls in the ward. I promised that we could keep her as busy as she wanted to be. Tonight was Courtney's first night with the Sorensen children. Can you feel what is coming?

Erron and I both remembered to turn our cell phones to vibrate during church but I forgot to sit mine on my lap. After two unanswered calls to my phone, Erron's phone buzzed in his pocket. He popped out to the foyer and came back with that look. The, "I am so glad I work out of state at least five days a week because our children, especially our youngest, drive me crazy," look. He leaned over to me and informed me that Courtney is crying and Dane won't go to bed. So the question. Do we leave the meeting early or do we stay for the last speaker and the go? We left early, came home to find Dane sitting at the top of the stairs saying, "I don't like her. She is not my friend." That would disturb me if it hadn't been the same thing he has told everyone, including me, for the last couple of weeks. Yoga Breathing!

First, I hugged Courtney, then I took Dane by the arm and told her to follow us. Dane had to look at Courtney to see her crying. He kept saying she wasn't his friend. I finally told him that I wasn't paying her to be his friend. Courtney was there to take care of him. I got him dressed and washed up all the while trying to comfort Courtney by telling her other horror stories of the babysitters that came before her. Poor girl. It can only get better from here right? Her mother should have to pay me for assuring that she won't been another teen pregnancy:)

So we get the kids to bed and after a long pep talk I take Courtney home. Erron needed his next 64oz Diet Coke on my way home and who did I run into? Courtney's mama coming home from conference. I had to tell her my three year old make her daughter cry. How long do you think it will take for this story to run through the ward? Embarrassing!

On a lighter note. We took the kids to a famous burger place today for lunch. 5 Guys Burger & Fries. We were sitting there eating the best fries I have ever had when the kids started talking about their Sunday School teachers. Kale piped up that his teacher wears really high heels. "Like five cheeseburgers high." That is such a KI thing to say. Erron and I laughed all the way home. Kale's new rating system. He always has the hot teachers.

In case all of my Oregon friends have forgotten what the sunshine looks like I will post some pictures of blue sky tomorrow. It is so hard to be here in the 80* weather.

2 comments:

M Mod said...

LOVE the five cheeseburgers! Too funny.

For several months now M has been very vocal as she defines who is and who isn't her friend. If she doesn't like the way some child looks at her at the store, she says loudly (and usually pointing), "Mommy, he is NOT my friend." Very embarrassing. C went thru the same thing and it seemed to last forever. I thought maybe it was more of a girl thing. I am actually glad to know that it's not. You have my sympathy.

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Tamara, I do believe it has been a while since you posted. Are you doing OK? I think I may have to call you tomorrow. Change that to I will be calling you. Hope all is well.

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

The Sorensen kids at Register Rock Idaho