Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Que Sera, Sera

Where do I start? Should I start?

It was the first day of school for the Sorensen children. Kale had been worried about being able to understand his teacher in the new language spoken in the south. We met Mrs. Workman this morning and she was so excited because we were from Oregon. She is from Spokane, Washington and just moved here last summer. She assured Kale that they would be able to understand each other.

Reagan has Mrs. Kersteder. The girls cheered when she came because now they are even with the boys 10 and 10. Are you ready for this? The kids have to catch the bus at 7:05AM. The late bell rings at 7:45am and with over 1,000 students in each school it isn't feasible to get Kale through the drive through at his school and then Reagan through hers unless we leave at 7:10. So, the bus it is. School ends at 2:45pm and the bus drops them at 3:25pm. That is 45 minutes longer each day than in Oregon.

It just gets better. School gets out May 23 and starts again August 11. WHAT? Reagan no longer has a summer birthday.

The stupid stove has officially died. After making lunch yesterday the thing started ringing and there was a pop and then a loud voice that said, "Tamara has my permission not to cook again until there is a new stove in the kitchen." Tada. New stove on the way. Today, I was blogging my dear friend littlest hillbilly when Reagan screamed and pointed at the sink. 100's of ants. Dishwasher--full of ants. That's it! No more eating in this house until they are gone. Off we went out to dinner. Tada. Ant expert tomorrow at 11am. Stupid $#@^&* ants.

No recycling and now no emissions/standards testing. The website says when you come to register your car in TN you must first get the car tested and bring the paperwork to the registration office with you. I could not find a testing facility anywhere. With my prior experience with very nice southern people on the phone I called the registration office and they informed me that they had no idea what I was talking about. What is emissions testing? It is on the website but it really isn't required I guess.

Last night, after the kids were in bed, dishes done and the burden of unpacking more boxes was heavy on my head, Erron thought it would be great to have a rock-off. Him against me on Guitar Hero. For all of you without the joy of a Wii system, really it does not suck. I promised myself never to have a video game system in the house but my mom bought a Wii for the kids for Christmas. I wanted to hate it. I wanted to ban it--but who wouldn't love boxing with their spouse. Not only is it a great workout, it might be slightly therapeutic. And the next step after singing and dancing along with the iPod is playing Guitar Hero. Kale made it through two songs today. We are so proud.

What will tomorrow bring? Ask Doris Day.

5 comments:

The Littlest Hillbilly says: said...

Are you sure that you want to get rid of the ants and get a new stove? I mean...dinner out is super easy! :) I really am sorry about the ants...they are disgusting! So did you get to pick the stove or did the people that own the place pick it?

M Mod said...

Well, that sure gave me the heebie jeebies! When I was in the 8th grade we were camping in CA in our trailer, and I was the first to wake up because we had been infested with ants and they were crawling all over me. Literally thousands of ants (although not all specifically on me)! It took days to get rid of them, and my folks didn't have the $ for us to stay in hotels instead. I still get the creepy crawlies thinking about it. You have my greatest sympathy. Stupid ants. Stupid stove! Stupid starting school in August.

KnoxvilleNewbie said...

Thank you for sympathizing with me. No I don't get to pick out the new stove but I keep thinking to myself...."only 7 months and 2.5 weeks left." Then I either buy a house or tear this one apart and personally send each one of those little black crawly things home to meet the great ant God.

Eating out in Portland is a treat. Who couldn't find something yummy at Cafe Mingo. But TN is not known for it's cuisine unless it's BBQ or maybe catfish. I have had my catfish quota for the year thanks.

I forgot to tell you something funny. In Happy Valley at the schools a portable is basically a classroom in a trailer that has been sat next to the school. Here they look at everything with a sunny disposition and they call their portables--The Villas. I could have died laughing. Kale's classroom is in a Villa. I can't even say it with a straight face.

The Littlest Hillbilly says: said...

That is fascinating. A villa. You're right, it is rather hard to say it with a straight face. Say it like you mean it! The only names that I have come up for you so far are Naughty Nellie and Brenda B*@!&-a-lot. Bad Tam is also good...a little more g-rated than the last one. If you would rather no one see those, then feel free to delete this comment. Well, I am sorry to hear that you didn't get to pick the stove and I hope they don't give you some horrible Sunbeam toaster oven to take its place. Maybe an Easy-Bake oven? Maybe they will special order a teal one to match the tiles. You could really get lucky here lady. I would never be sad to see a banjo shaped package arrive in the mail.

Cindy said...

We is the best thing ever! I love love love it! I heard they are coming out with an exersice game!
Its so much fun reading your blogs. Great to see the pictures of your backyard and Miss Regan!

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

The Sorensen kids at Register Rock Idaho