Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy


So Wyoming is pretty wide. We have driven across about 440 miles of it. This is my first drive past Rock Springs and I have to say that it has inspired me for another adventure. We need a month on a ranch in Wyoming. Riding horses and cooking for cowboys, wearing wranglers and boots, and living an hour from town. That would be awesome--for a month. I asked the kids if they would like to live here and Kale said, "No, it is too far from the stores." Wimp.


The Sorensen kids were on top of their game today. They really stepped up. Reagan is sick and she just cuddled in the back seat and enjoyed the movies. Dane even took a nap for an hour. That is a miracle. Kale didn't even complain until Laramie. He did have an excuse. I mapquested Fort Laramie so we could take a tour and our directions took us to Fort Laramie Towing. It is a lovely white cement block building just up the street from the Cowboy Bar. We drove around looking for any historical signs but Kale was over it. Tired, hungry and not a fan of random historical sites he just wanted to move on. I admit it. I caved. We left.


We learned our lesson about not changing Dane enough. After the second wet through clothes and car seat incident on the way to my mom's, I made an executive decision. Despite my natural instinct to drive as far as fast as I can without stopping, we will stop every 1.5 hours to change Dane and whatever else. Extremely inefficient in my book but easier on the laundry pile. Today we stopped four times. Evanston, Rock Springs, no where and Fort Steele rest stop. In Evanston we found a McDonalds and I have added a picture of Kale riding one of the saddle seats. The wind was blowing so hard at no where it took two of us to close the car door when Kale was done. Erron will be proud to know that Kale has been using his pee in a bottle skills on this trip.


At the hotel in Cheyenne a local suggested a place called the Tortilla Factory for dinner. It was great Mexican food. You go through the back door of a Mexican Market. It was the whole package. We did some swimming and the kiddos are sleeping.


Tomorrow it is onto Omaha. There is another Fort on our agenda. Fort Kearney should be hard to miss. It is literally built over the highway. We are also looking for license plates from different states. So far we have 24.


Favorite things about.....


Wyoming

1. Once again I love those 75 mph speed limits.

2. Would really love to just get on a horse and ride for some serious alone time. Maybe this is my next mommy only trip. Michelle do you want to meet me here next summer?

3. A wonderful change of pace and scenery.

1 comment:

The Kersten Family said...

Tamara,
I'm glad to hear that the trip is going pretty smoothly. I hope you're getting to see some sunshine because ours has gone away...all that's left is the depressing gray sky and blowing rain. I love Oregon, right?
Cia

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

The Sorensen kids at Register Rock Idaho