Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Is NOT About The Dinner -- Thank Goodness!






We attended our new ward for the first time today. Absolutely amazing. The most friendly ward I have ever walked in to. We have names, phone numbers, dates, places and invitations. I think the kids are thrilled to have something they can depend on to be the same. They were happy they knew the answers to questions even at this 'new church'. The Easter program was beautiful and the choir, although 1/4 the size of our last ward, sounded more full. A couple of the ladies have sisters in Beaverton and one younger than us couple is from Pocatello and actually knew a member of my family. The only branch of my dads family that are members of the church besides me and my brother. The world is small but the Mormon Church makes it even smaller.

I struggled with how to make Easter about Christ is our new house. Schedules are non-existent and any of you that know me know that schedules and lists are my best friends. We can't find things, boxes are still everywhere and do your kids really listen and hear what you are saying anyway? I hadn't voice my concerns but Reagan really pulled it out for us again last night during family prayer. She asked in her prayer for us, "to find a way to remember Christ during Easter and that it's not about the candy and presents." I swear she was sent here to give me strength. Just when I think I just doesn't matter and it isn't getting through one of the kids does something that gives me hope. It is kind of like that first smile when they are a few weeks old. These glimpses of thoughts that they have without your prompting three seconds before. My eyes raise to heaven and I mouth, "Thank you". It gets even better.

Most mornings the kids come and jump in bed with us. This morning the kids started asking questions about the resurrection. How will we know when it is coming? Has Christ already come again? We explained that only Heavenly Father knows when the second coming will be but that he has given us some clues to look for when it is close. The spirit of Elijah, the restoration of the Gospel, the Gospel to all the earth to name a few. We talked about how when Christ comes again the whole world will know because he will be the new king. It won't be like when he came as a baby and people said, "this little guy?" The wars will end and there will be peace. Kale asked us if grandpa Bruderer got to see Jesus at the end of WWII. They know that he was is the navy during that war. He was pretty excited that it meant the end to all wars not just WWII.

How can Easter get any better? Well, Reagan then went out to climb the 50 ft. magnolia tree in the backyard. She made it about 30 ft. up. She was thrilled that she was flexible and strong enough to maneuver her way up. If there is a picture at the beginning of this post it means I got off my tail and plugged in my camera to download the pictures. FYI, the magnolias bloom in April. Can't wait.

Can you feel the suspense building? We all know that the Tamara we know and love is not the eternal optimist. In fact we love her for her fits and sarcasm right? So have no fear, I am here. Should we name my alter ego? Bad Tam? Heather, I know you have some ideas:)

We have a experienced only minor inconveniences in our new house. Teal tile in the kitchen, pink tile in the bathroom, the stove fan that shakes the whole kitchen, ANTS, can't find the Wii pieces, the kitchen is 1/2 the size of our old one, and a few other little things that I have lovingly mocked. Our first big holiday dinner in this house changed all of that. The hotel size microwave takes 6 minutes to heat green beans. Can you believe that? Stupid microwave! The stupid stove turned itself off right in the middle of baking a cake. Technology that thinks for itself right here in my kitchen. Lucky me! The stupid burner I was making the gravy, for the fourth time in my whole life, on doesn't know low only high. Reagan was whisking it for me and in about 30 seconds it had scalded and was as thick as ice cream. Stupid stove! The stupid ANTS thought they were invited to dinner and they filled the sink while I was cooking. Stupid ANTS! It took me so long to find the mixer, the bowls, the spoons and the butter that the potatoes got cold before I could mash them. Stupid potatoes! Kale hated the coconut in the fruit salad. Dane wouldn't touch the ham or the mashed potatoes. Reagan thought I was talking about her when I told Erron he was expecting me to work with sub-par equipment. I assured her she was the only thing in the kitchen worth working with. Stupid kitchen!

In my head, this is where I stomp my feet and march off like the 12 year-old I am inside. This whole week we have been debating buying this house and tearing it apart or keep looking for a newer house. At 5pm you could not have paid me enough to do anything but burn this place down. Then after dessert when trees were being climbed again, soccer balls were being kicked into the soccer goal, the Frisbee was being thrown and Dane was on a bear hunt through the trees in our huge backyard, I had to stop and think about the price tag I have to put on this yard the fantastic neighborhood and priceless neighbors. I just don't know.

I found the blog of a friend that I have lost touch with and started reading it. Someone told me about it a couple of months ago and it took me this long to get to it. She has given me the courage to keep asking Heavenly Father what we should do. He knows I am not just sitting around waiting but really looking. Sometimes I just don't feel worthy of the answers. You know that giving away your favorite sins to get what is really important in your life. In an effort to keep the spirit for an extra 15 minutes after church today Erron dedicated the house and gave the kids blessings of comfort and strength as they prepare to start at their new schools this week. He asked me if I would like a blessing too and I said yes although I always cringe a little at what I might hear. Those little things that might not mean something to anyone else but you now exactly what it means and God knows you know exactly what it means.

4 comments:

The Littlest Hillbilly says: said...

I think your backyard rocks! And I have a big backyard! But now I want to see the rest of the house! I am glad your ward is so friendly. That has to be nice and the fact that a couple in your ward know your brother is fun. The Mormon world is VERY small. I am impressed that Reagan climbed the tree that high. I would have fallen and broken my neck. I am thinking up some good names for your dark alter ego. But I can't debut them just yet. Soon. :)

KnoxvilleNewbie said...

You want picture of the stupid ants, stupid pink & teal tile and the stupid stove? That is a good project for tomorrow. I can't sleep and it's 12:27am. Maybe I need some of Dane's Melatonin:)

M Mod said...

You crack me up. And you're right, Laurie's stupid oven did not turn off : ) By the way, love the tree!

The Littlest Hillbilly says: said...

Yes...I need pictures of all the stupid things around the house. I have this great need to see ants, pink and teal tile and a crappy stove. I also really want to see the shower that the whole family can shower in and pretty much the rest of your house. I have been trying to figure out the whole blog thing and how to make it look nice, but I am still just as clueless as ever. I don't even know how to get a nice background on mine like you have on yours. How? Stupid Blog! And I am still working on some names for you.

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

The Sorensen kids at Register Rock Idaho