Monday, March 17, 2008

A++ For Not Exploding

Today was one of those days you just have to grin and bear it.

It started off trying to find a Dr. for Dane because we thought he had an ear infection. The first office wasn't taking new patients but gave us the # of their other office. They were able to get us in at 10am but I am learning that in TN time that means anytime between 10 and 11. I should have figured that out when the scheduler said see you AROUND 10. Fine. So he doesn't have and ear infection or Strep and they have never seen an insurance card like our new one. They had to call the Mayor, the Govenor and finally the Dept. of Defense to approve it. The nurses and the Dr. were very nice though:)

We came back to the hotel to let the boys veg because they felt so aweful. Here is where my drive to be efficient sometimes bites me and becomes a weakness. My plan was to put in some laundry and then call the utilities to put them in our name. Two things at one time get it? Well that is all well and good in the parallel universe where everyone pays their bills. Whoever rented our house before us didn't pay their bills so none of the utilities would open my account over the phone. Erron is working in NC and I did not know my way around except to get from the hotel to the house or Target. It seems my life has been spent with situations saying you can't do this and me getting mad and saying you just watch me. Me and my buddy Mapquest mapped our way to the gas company which was set to turn off the gas today, the electric company and the water company. First we had to pick-up copies of the lease agreement to take to everyone and convince them not to make me bring in my SS card because it is on a truck somewhere hopefully close to TN. The kids piled in the car and away we went to downtown Knoxville to switch the gas before it got turned off. Is it just me or are the Irish especially jubilant this year. Streets were closed for parties and green was everywhere. The kids tripped out of the car and we stood in line to open our account. Some nice lady took my lease agreement and entered my drivers license info into the computer and then told me I was set up but I had to step over to a bank of phones and have it activated. Just press two. The person, #2 for short, told me there was nothing about me in the computer and proceeded to give me the third degree. 20 minutes later, everything sorted we had to drive through Sonic for 1/2 prices drinks 2-4pm.

Now we are heading back to Cedar Bluff around the Irish party roads. The electric company is in the north, the water in the south. Guess what I discovered sits right between. TARGET. We treated ourselves to a broom and some milk and took it to the house.

Utilities on! I did call our leasing agent this morning and found that he is as useful as a stick. He should be politician. No need to answer a question then.

How do I deal with a state that does not recycle and the yard debris get mixed with the regular garbage? After living in Oregon this is just not natural. For $17/month we get a 96 gallon can emptied weekly + up to 9 additional bags. Are you kidding me? If my 33 gallon can in Oregon didn't close the last inch they charged me and extra $6. I am disgusted and amazed at the same time and I can't decide if it is with Oregon for being so green or Tennessee for being so irresponsible.

Hugs and kisses from the south. Anyone need me to get them a recipe for sweet potato pudding. It is awesome.

8 comments:

M Mod said...

Hi! I'm so glad I found your blog, and that you made it there safe, sound and still sane! What a fun blog.

Beth said...

Hey Tamara,

96 gallon can! Holy Cow! I can't even imagine having that much trash! The price certainly is right!

Enjoyed reading your blog and being "almost" right there with you as you drove across the country. We are glad you are safe and that you have found Target!

KnoxvilleNewbie said...

Just so that we are all on the same page. Safe and sound yes but I don't think sanity is something I could claim even on a good day:)

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Susan KW said...

Target Yes!! Starbucks Yes!! Not running into you at Nordstrom this week No!!!

Love your blog and your grasp of technology. G'donya!

Cindy said...

I'm glad you guys made it safely!
I can't believe they don't recycle. Amazing!
Why don't you have a navagation system in your car? It will quickly become your very best friend!

The Littlest Hillbilly says: said...

Tamara! I just got your messages on my cell phone today. Silly rabbit, I don't look at my cell phone! :) I would have happily watched Dane if I had been paying attention to it. And I just popped on here and read the whole sordid story of your trip and wished I would have heard your message when you needed me. I am sorry. I am so glad you guys got there safe and sound. You write like you talk and I can hear every word you are writing as if you are standing here in my living room talking to me. I am hoping you are going to be blogging regularly for our enjoyment. It will make me miss you just a little less. I am working on the tarot cards idea as I write this. smoochies---H

KnoxvilleNewbie said...

Heather, so good to hear from you. Tomorrow I am going to call your home number just so I can hear whatever fun message you have on there. Can't wait to see the cards.

Cindy, I think I will add the nav system to my list of needed things and see if I get it for my birthday.

And just so everyone knows who to ask for help setting up a cool blog, Cia I am outting you right now. She did it all for me. I tried and it was just boring so Cia took care of it.

M Mod, I asked Erron which one my friends you could be because my dense brain took two days trying to figure it out. He did it in about 4 seconds. Lame I know.

Susan, do you need me to drive to the Carolina's and mail you some Innisbrook samples? I am so close.

Beth, I have a great penny pincher story for you. When we were in Utah my mom had a coupon for 15 cents off per gallon of gas up to 100 gallons in a single purchase. So we drove to the local Safeway and I filled up, she held the hose while I pulled out of the way and then I held is while she pulled up in her car. It was Albertson's at 11pm all over again:)

M Mod said...

Ha, that's funny! Too bad Erron figured it out. I could have been your mystery commentor for years. But then I'd probably have said something inappropriate & you'd lock down your blog with a password and spoil all the fun for everyone, so I guess it's a good thing you know who I am. If you didn't know, I think you can click on the underlined m mod link and that will take you to my profile. Although I don't have a profile set up, there should be a link to my blog - so you probably would have eventually figured it out.

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

The Sorensen kids at Register Rock Idaho