Sunday, June 1, 2008

Houston, The Blazer Has Landed!

My friend, Sharisa, had the best line yesterday. I was telling her about how I took the kids to my favorite breakfast place Braums. They have vanilla yogurt with fresh strawberries and bananas and nuts on top. Love it. Dane took one bite and threw up the nuts all over the table. Kale picked out all of the bananas and Reagan picked all of the cheese off of her ham, egg and CHEESE biscuit. Sharisa said, "There they go, writing over those good memories you used to have."

The day in Dallas was too short. We played with Sharisa's kids in the pool, visited the Dallas Temple and got scrumptious cupcakes from Sprinkles. The best part was sitting in the hall outside my hotel room talking to Sharisa. We had to sit out there because the extra ears in the room wouldn't go to sleep and there are just some times that kids should be in bed so moms can catch up after not seeing each other for 11 years. We have earned it. It was fun to catch up and even better to talk to someone who knew me before. Before I was mom or mommy.

This morning we packed up the Blazer and drove 220 miles down I-45 South to see my sister in Houston. This is my first time in this part of Texas and I have to say that I love it just the same. It makes me even more jealous that my sister, Wendy, gets to live here. The kids spend most of the afternoon and evening in her pool and got to see their cousins, Spencer and Dylan, for the first time in about 6 years. To put it in perspective the last time they saw each other Kale was 15 months old. It is a little sad to say that our family does best with each other in small doses but as long as we are happy we shouldn't rock the boat. No reunions in the near future.

I think Kale has met his match. His cousin, Dylan, is 13 and he and Kale sparred in the pool for over an hour. So many times we have had to hold Kale back from playing rough with his friends because of his size and strength that it was eye opening to watch him go full force with an older boy. I was nervous and almost had to sit on my hands because I'm not sure just what is okay when big boys are wrestling. Kale was in heaven. Hopefully, he doesn't try the new headlock move on any of the little guys in Knoxville.

Dane insisted on going with Wendy to get Chinese food for dinner. Things were going great until they walked out of the restaurant with the food and Dane stopped, turned and said to the lady, "I don't like you and I don't like Chinese." Oh Dane. Obviously, 'Parenting The Strong Willed Child' is not paying off. He does love Spencer though. A little hero worship I think. Dane has followed him around all afternoon. Spencer is 14. My boys need an older brother. Maybe I should rent one a couple afternoons a week:)

I left my pillow in Dallas at the hotel. Do you think that is a good enough excuse to go back and get it and maybe get lost there. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I really am here.

2 comments:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

The Brothers K is a book by David James Duncan. I love it...a lot. I haven't read it in a couple of years, but I still highly recommend it. You might enjoy it because it is a little irreverent and completely hilarious. It seems like it would be right up your alley. But then again, I still don't have a good handle on what books you like, however I am still going to recommend it. Go pick it up and read it. Go to amazon and look up the book and read an excerpt. It is sooooo good.

The Kersten Family said...

Sounds like the trip is going well. Enjoy your time under that big Texas sky!

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

The Sorensen kids at Register Rock Idaho