Friday, May 30, 2008

Daney Does Dallas!

This is what I LOVE about Texans. They love it here and frankly they don't care if you don't. If you love it too then you get adopted into a group that wasn't born here but got here as fast as you could. That group includes me. Much to my father's consternation I became a Dallas Cowboy fan when I was 5. I always wanted to see Dallas and finally my senior year in high school I got to come here for a speech competition. It was like coming home for the first time. I cried when I had to leave and then spent years trying to get back here. My friends used to mock me because I loved it so much. Then some of those same friends were there when I opened my mission call and found I was coming back to the Texas Dallas Mission. It was prophetic for me. Loved it and really thought I would move back here after college. Of course life has other plans and this is the first time I am visited in 15 years. I wondered if the feelings would be as strong.



There weren't even words in my repertoire that could describe to the kids the heart wrenching feeling of driving through Marshall. I served there for seven months. Of course it has changed but the memories just came rushing back as I drove past the old Railroad mansions. The old dive that we lived in is still there and still a dive. There was a great pottery place there, Marshall Pottery, that used to give tours to show how they used the red clay prominent in this area to make the pottery. They don't give the tours anymore but I finally have my Texas chip and dip bowl. This is the only small town I could ever imagine myself living in. Somewhere on the lake probably where I could go down to the dock and catch my own catfish.



We skipped Tyler (can barely remember it except for the roses) and drove straight to Dallas. Mostly because I just couldn't wait any longer. As soon as I saw the skyline the old feeling came back of coming home. In my mind I can see the map of Plano and can remember the streets and where everything is. There is even a house that I love here that I would love to find again. For a time I thought I would go to SMU so I have to take the kids there and to the temple in Richardson. My friend, Sharisa, says there is a great cupcake place over there and we will probably hit a park with a fun water feature to help get the wiggles out. Reunion Tower is on the list as well as finding out where the new football stadium will be. I feel like a kid again. I am so much more excited than the youngsters are. I would take them to a Mesquite Rodeo but Dane and bulls just aren't meant to be in the same building yet.



Reagan has gotten a big kick out of all the Texas shaped stuff everywhere. In Oregon, Washington, and Tennessee you might see someone with a flag from their favorite college but here everyone has a Texas flag. On every overpass, loop or sign there is the shape of Texas or the Star engraved somewhere. Many people decorate the homes in Texas paraphernalia. Texas is not shy about it's arrogance and it is the only place that I can stand that. It makes me think my new house in TN is going to have a TX room. How about my bedroom? What do you think Erron? The eyes of TX are upon you:)



The kids and I have decided that the people in Arkansas are not very creative. Anyone who would name towns, Arkadelphia and Texarkana need help. In Texarkana we ate lunch at Whataburger. Texas would be perfect if we could bring in some mountains around Dallas and get rid of those darn Whataburgers. They weren't my favorite in 1992 and they left that same bad taste in my mouth today. Erron was jealous though. Interstate BBQ, Whataburger and we are going to get Braums yogurt for breakfast. Now he wishes he had come with us:)



I will leave you with one of those endearing TX stories.



John Madden (football announcer) was announcing at at Patriots game and asked Tom Brady (quarterback) what the phone was for that he sat next to when he was on the sidelines. Tom told him it was his direct line to God. John asked him if he could use it and Tom said sure for $200. John paid and called God who gave him all the weeks picks. John made a mint.

The next Sunday, John was announcing at a Colts game and asked Peyton Manning about his phone on the sideline. Peyton told John that it was his own direct line to God. John asked if he could use it and Peyton said yes for $500. John called, God gave him the picks and John was happy.

Then came Monday night at the Cowboys game. John asked Tony Romo about his phone and of course it was Tony's direct line to the Big Guy in the sky so John asked him if he cold use it. Sure said Tony for .50 cents. John said hey, "Tom charged me $200 and Peyton charged my $500 what is up with that?" Tony replied, "Well John, it's a local call from here. This IS God's country." I know all you Texas haters are gagging but I laughed all over myself when I read that at a little gas station in Lindon.

No one could take Oregon shaped coasters seriously. Washington shaped pasta? I think not. Gardens in the shape of Tennessee. Whatever. God Bless Texas! And I did see an armadillo by the side of the road today. It is a wonderful life.

1 comment:

The Kersten Family said...

A little bit of me is "Texas sick" because I so remember all of the five pointed stars wherever you looked along with the outline of the state on everything. My favorite is in Austin at the State Capital building the iron fence has stars on each little top portion and the sidewalk has stars in the concrete. Stars everywhere and I am all in favor of the TX room at your house...only if I can come and stay in it! Eventhough I only lived in TX for a year, a little bit of it stays with me no matter where I go! TX is the only place where I have experienced my calves sweating in the summer and a restraunt where you bring your own beer because it is in a "dry" county! God bless TX!

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

Saying Goodbye To Grandma

The Sorensen kids at Register Rock Idaho